Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Classroom Experience Using Essential Questions

Today, I introduced my topic by asking this question...How can you convince others to compromise? My students had all kinds of strange answers. I had to guide students to get their answers more on track. I asked the question again at the end of the lesson and students were right on track. They also mentioned that this is a question you could ask today...We are discussing the issues just before the Civil War- they liked this to our more current wars. THEY ARE SO SMART!:)

2 comments:

  1. Sabrena,
    I love your Essential question! Good essential questions like yours create questions in the students' minds, as you observed. You were right on track to then reign them in and focus them on your current topic. By helping students make connections between the past and today, you added so much relevance and interest to your lesson. Sounds like you had a very positive experience using CFQs in your classroom. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Photopeach of Homecoming and I really love the one you sent me that your students made (I posted a comment for them)! I can see so many uses for this in the classroom. I love the idea of students using not only the visuals, but also telling a story! Thank You for leading our teachers and our school. You are such an example of how to NOT be afraid of technology, but to take risks and engage our students! Thank You and please know that you are appeciated!!

    ReplyDelete